This casserole is so easy to make, and every bite is packed full of flavor. The recipe includes a serving of protein, veggies, and healthy fats. An all in one dish. Perfect for a quick family dinner, or meal prepped lunches for the week.
I personally use ground turkey for this recipe. It’s a bit leaner, high in protein, and it changes up our meat proteins for the week.
You can use anything you’d like. Try ground beef, bison, or chicken.
In this recipe we use sweet potato and zucchini for our veggies. I have added yellow squash to this casserole a few times and it was delicious. The the added flavor and yellow pops of color make for a lovely addition to the recipe
I love the simplicity of this recipe so I haven’t experimented too much. But feel free to add any other veggies you’d like. Just keep in mind the cook times. Any other kind of potato, or longer cooking veggies would bake best with the sweet potato. Where something like a mushroom would best be added in with the zucchini.
Parmesan has a strong flavor, and is an aged cheese so its an easier to digest cheese. It even adds a bit of protein to the dish.
Again, I haven’t experimented with any other cheese because I love this recipe as it is. Feel free to change it up if you please… Or simply add more parm, I’ve definitely done that 😉
Ground turkey, sweet potato, zucchini casserole
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 sweet potato about 3 cups
- 2 medium size zucchini about 3 cups
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp minced onion
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Prep sweet potato and zucchini. Cut the sweet potato into bite sized pieces. Cut the zucchini in half, then in quarters. Keep separate.
- Spray baking dish with non stick and add the sweet potato. Drizzle 1 tbsp of olive oil and season with the garlic powder, rosemary, thyme, and minced onion.
- Bake at 400 for 30 minutes or until potatoes are browned.
- While the sweet potatoes are baking, brown the ground turkey in a skillet, on medium. Season with 1/2 tsp of rosemary and 1 tsp of garlic powder. set aside when done.
- When the sweet potatoes are done, remove from oven. Mix in zucchini, ground turkey, and 1/4 of the grated parmesan cheese.
- Drizzle 1 tbsp of olive oil, and sprinkle the grated parmesan over the top. Bake for 10 minutes .
- Let cool for 5 minutes, and enjoy!
Store this ground turkey, sweet potato, and zucchini casserole in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
I like to separate them into meal prep container so I am set for lunches or dinner during the week.
Looking for other ground turkey recipes? Try my Mediterranean meatball and orzo skillet
Or my favorite turkey burger recipe!